Best Friends are the BEST! For me, they are part of what makes me survive this life! I can not imagine doing this life without them! So I have to give a shout out to these ladies in my life! I am very fortunate to have a few really great women in my life that lift me up, support me and tell me the truth. These are all long-term friendships, all over 10 years, some, all of my adult life. We have been there for each other through all of the ups and downs of this crazy ride of adulthood, motherhood, marriages, jobs, etc.
I was thinking about the traits that make a great friend. As I am raising children to go out into this world, I want them to seek people who have similar values as in my experience this makes for better relationships. So I started thinking about the traits of these wonderful women that make up my core group, that have been the anchors when I have been floating around and the life preservers when drowning.
Here is a list I thought of as I was thinking about each one of them. Traits one must have to be a great (bestie) friend in my opinion:
- Honesty. I want my best friends to tell me “yeah you look fat in that”. Ha! Maybe not so harshly, but I want them to be honest with how they think, what they feel, to not say what you want to hear but to speak the truth. And be willing to trust that I will accept their view with the intent it was given…in love.
- Have a sense of humor. Laughter is most definitely the best medicine. We need friends that make us laugh. The kind where you have tears running down your face. Where you have “inside jokes’ that you share and that can always make you both laugh.
- Trustworthy. As with the honesty, you have to be able to trust them with your secrets. To trust that yes they will tell you the truth, but more than that, you trust them to have your back. You can count on this kind of friend to keep their word.
- Loyalty. You want friends that will stand beside you. That will fight the battle with you. The best kind of friend will be the one you can call in the middle of the night and be there. One who will jump in the car and come right away if you really need them. You may never need to exercise this, but knowing you have someone that is there no matter what…is a comfort that some never find.
- Real. You want a friend that you can show all your sides to. The pretty and the ugly stuff. The stuff you are proud of and the things you are not. And you love each other anyway. There is no real judgment, just a desire to want each other to be their best selves.
- Cheerleader. Besties cheer for each other. They support each other. They shout and dance when you succeed and hold your hand and cry with you when you fail. They are one of your FANS!
I was always taught that if you can count on one hand these type of friends, you are fortunate. Even if you only have one person that fits this, count yourself lucky. We all need a Bestie type of friend. One who is there through thick and thin. One to laugh and cry with. To just sit in the quiet with as well. For me, I have a handful of these type of girlfriends…I call them my Core.
This is that shout out to them, saying thank you for the support and love through all the chaos and all the triumphs. I Love that I get to do this life with you.
Send love to your close friends that make this life a little easier. Those that help you through the tough moments and rejoices in the amazing, great moments. Remember to thank them occasionally, to make sure they know how much you value them. I see a season of more good than bad…can’t wait to share it with them and ya’ll.
Happy Days ahead! Thank you Besties!