It’s that time of year again…the Christmas season! This is my favorite month of the whole year! There are so many things to love and enjoy this season. Here are some of my favorite things:
- I love the smells of this time of year. Christmas trees, wreaths and garland, the scent of pine or fir. All the baking scents that fill the kitchen as we create homemade treats.
- I love the coziness and hominess that we tend to relish in at this time. Gathered around with those we love, celebrating over meals and party nights.
- I love the fireplace or woodstove burning warm and bright. All the blankets and quilts we wrap in to stay warm huddled together.
- I love the holiday movies, bringing laughter and memories as we rewatch movies we have seen for years. It’s A Wonderful Life will always be my favorite.
- I love the gift giving. Thinking about what those I love need or want and planning out what to get them. I love this season where many come together to give to others who may have a need. I truly delight in being able to give more than receive.
- I love the memories made. The traditions we do every year. The Christmas morning breakfast my sis in law makes. The midday dinner that we all help with. Opening stockings later after dinner, ending the day with a few extra surprises.
- I love the lights and all decorations inside and out. The cold nights and warm cocoa. Each year finding a new location to check out the lights. We have been to many throughout the years; The Oregon Garden perhaps my favorite.
The best part of this season is hard to pare down to just one thing. There are so many great things we get to enjoy this time of year. We seem to soften our hearts, even if just briefly. We help each other more, we may offer to give more than we would have at a different time.
December is one of the best months of the year for me. Even when times have been tough, when I have struggled to afford gifts, when there has been little to share with others, we have been abundant in being taken care of. We have been showered with love; through family and friends. My children have rarely known the struggles I may have had to provide a bounty on Christmas morning, but I think that is because this time of year, it’s so much more about loving each other, seeing the smiles, giving to others, relishing in the home, that what may have been lacking under the tree didn’t matter.
May you enjoy all the blessings of love and family and home this time of year. May this be a season that is bright with new and old traditions. May you get to pour out love and receive it in abundance back.