It came to my attention today that there may be a private blog, with the same name as mine and it made me think why anyone would want to write a blog in the first place. Why do I write a blog? I have been told that I should just keep a journal, keep my thoughts or feelings for my eyes only. That I have no voice and no need to shout my voice if I did have one. That blogging is a waste of my time and others.
What I find amusing about these statements is that when one writes, there is no obligation that anyone will read the written words. I have no way of knowing who (unless someone likes, comments or follows) actually reads what I have chosen to share with the world. There is no calculating the return on the investment of my time as I am not writing with a specific intent. And those that do read or follow, have no obligation to do so. Blogging is a shared experience, where we come together because we want to.
I started this blog as I love to write. I have always wanted to write and found excuses not to. And I can’t seem to keep a journal at all! But this forum, this avenue of creating, of connecting with other readers throughout the world is amazingly satisfying. It has light a fire in me to keep writing. To finally stop saying “I want to be a writer” and actually becoming one.
If you are thinking about creating a blog; here are 5 reasons why it’s a good idea:
- Blogging allows you to be creative. Not just with your words, themes or stories, but also with the look and layout of your blog. There are so many ways you can design your blog, limitless really.
- If you decide to let it, blogging can harness your creativity into an area that you are passionate about. I enjoy sharing, talking, spending time with my girlfriends, we all share the struggles and triumphs of motherhood, relationships, work, etc. This constant conversation shows me how valuable our time and energy is and how often we do not treat ourselves as valuable. I find this interesting and it is something I am passionate about changing. I want each woman I know; my daughter to know, how important she is in this world. And how we need to live this truth. By blogging out my thoughts, I have been able to find what I am passionate about and start to pursue that more.
- If you are serious about building a blog, it can help you create structure and direction for your writing. Knowing that I have followers, that my blog is read regularly, pushes me to have a somewhat of a writing schedule. To create more content, more often. In a way, this blog forces me to continue pursuing my passion to write. To have no excuses. Write consistently.
- Blogging connects you to a community of writers and other creative people. This is one of the things I enjoy the most; the global synergy that blogging has created. Reading other blogs, chatting with people from all over the world; getting to understand other cultures from areas that I may never travel to. The blogging community is an amazing melting pot of so many creative people that it blows my mind. It makes me want to learn more, create more and connect more.
- If you want to build an income, if you want a hobby, if you want to share your thoughts and ideas; blogging allows all these opportunities. There are really no limits it seems with what you can blog about. If you have something to share, share it. If you have an idea, let others know about it. If you create beautiful pictures or have fabulous tips, or have traveled somewhere new, etc, and you like to share with others, not just the folks at home; blog.
Go ahead, start now! And don’t hide it. Don’t steal another person’s name. Don’t create under a false pretense. Just create. Create because you have to. Because something inside of you says this will fulfill you. This will open a door for you. Just let the words flow. Follow your bliss as they say.
I am still loving this blogging adventure. Through the good and the bad. Let the words keep coming. Enjoy.