This past weekend I was reading through old posts, thinking about what I have written, where I am now and how I want this blog to grow and evolve. In looking back through some of my old posts, I found the one about how to get out of the morning funk and thought it was a pretty good list. I like lists. I like seeing progress. And I think I often do these items, with some modifications, and each day I am able to stay centered and fairly up beat and in a good mood (most of the time).
I have updated this and hope this list will inspire you to start your day in a positive mindset. To build your best life, you must clean house in your mind. You must clean out the cobwebs, get rid of the junk and generally keep it neat and tidy in there. These are some tips on how to do that.
5 things you can do to start your day from a great place!
- Start with some stretches! Perhaps a bit of yoga. By this, I truly mean about 5 min of stretching. Cat, Camel, Child’s Pose. I try some deep breathing as I sat in these poses. Trying not to think about anything for just a few minutes. Clear out my head.
- Journal. Write down what you are thinking, what your dreams were about perhaps. Again taking just a few minutes and write random thoughts. Sometimes your best ideas come right after sleep. I try to keep my journals next to my bed for those thoughts that hit before I fall asleep but also for the start of my day. Free flow or be deliberate, but just write.
- Drink a large glass of water! Before coffee! Not sure I need more info on that. Just do it. It’s good for your body.
- Read. Again, just 5-10 minutes. Sometimes all I have time for in the morning is to read for this brief time. But it helps me to start actively using my mind. I like the “one day at time” style for this time of day. Something inspiring, heartfelt, quick.
- Make your “to do” list for the day. Knowing what tasks you need to tackle for the day, keeping it to just a few items, will keep you focused. Being able to cross them off will help you feel accomplished.
As you can see, I like to make lists. I like to use a pen and paper for some of these things. Some may prefer digital. I like being able to cross items off my lists and see some completion. Not all are required to start my day off on the right foot, but each day that I do these 5 things, I am better prepared and calmly equipped to tackle a new day.
Do you have things you do to start your day in the best way possible? Please share.
Oh–one last tip; don’t hit the snooze! Wake up! Put your feet on the floor! Embrace that you are alive another day! Happy Monday!