Do you ever wake up and feel overwhelmed by all the things left to do before going back to work for the week? Or just feeling a bit cranky but you don’t know why? That is how I am feeling today. Most of the time I wake up refreshed and ready to tackle the day. I am more inclined to be an optimist and focus on the good, or at least try, but today I am a finding that to be more of a challenge.
Somedays are just like that right?! There may be now reason for the off mood. There may be nothing wrong in your home or relationships or job. But for whatever reason you have a more negative attitude. Do you work on changing those feelings when you have them or do you wallow in them?
Truth be told, sometimes I wallow. Not for long, but sometimes I just mire in the bad mood. This happens more when I am not sure why I am even feeling off. But I do not like to stay cranky. I have a partner, children and a life I love that I do not like to waste much of my time feeling negative. When days like today creep in, I have a few tricks I use to work myself out of a mood. Perhaps some of these will help you as well.
5 tips to shake off a “no reason” for a bad mood:
- Write a list. Write down all the tasks you feel like you have to get done today or this week. I find that writing down the tasks that I feel are overwhelming me helps me get clear and focused. Often times the list is much smaller than I think it is. Like today; I am feeling that my house needs to be cleaned and picked up more. But when I made my list; I really only have a couple things to complete. My house is not near as messy as I was thinking in my head.
- Breathe. Meditate. I learned the a few years ago the value of meditation. It is not an easy task for me at all! It seems as if my thoughts are never quiet and I have a tough time calming my mind. When I practice this it is best for me to just stand tall in my living room, taking a few deep breaths with my eyes closed. I start with the yoga tree pose most often. Then I may move into child’s pose and cat and cow poses. I usually try to end with the warrior pose, making me end on a strong note. Practicing some yoga and meditation in the morning has helped me stay centered and calm throughout the day.
- Take a walk. This tip is one that I see so very often, but it is one of the best ones. There is something refreshing about getting outside and breathing in the fresh air. Getting our bodies moving is also a way to release feel good hormones. Any exercise will help but I think there is something special in taking a walk. It is usually not too difficult nor strenuous and can just be a quiet moment in the chaos of our days.
- Listen to music. As I was starting my chores (from that list I made) I put on music. Find musicians that speak to your for different reasons. Today I needed calm, relaxing music. Even though I was working and that would usually be a time for upbeat, fast, maybe loud styles, today I needed something different. Music can be a great distraction and sometimes you just need to sing it out.
- Watch a funny video. I am not a watcher of youtube much. I do not have funny memes on my phone. But I have teenagers. They are always a great resource for funny videos and finding things that will make me laugh. Often times these are so random, it’s impossible not to laugh. Sometimes to redirect your thoughts, you need something random to distract you. I find that laughter has always worked for me when I can’t seem to shake a bad mood.
No matter what mood you might be in, these tricks can help keep you calm and centered. These are not just for a bad mood. Often times these work best when practiced often. I hope if you are starting your day slightly off, you try a few of these and see if they work for you.
Think I will head out for a walk now.
And just needed another pretty picture to remind myself of the beauty in this world.