Posted in Monday Musings

Monday musings–Welcome to 2020

It is the first Monday of a new year! Seems this first week has just brought so much joy already.  We enjoyed a kid free week; a rare event in our home with four kids between us.  Spending a week relaxing, rejuvenating and envisioning our plans for the future has been a rewarding experience.  It is always nice when you are given things and moments you didn’t even know you needed.

Having a mellow start to the new year has set us up well I think.  Sometimes one needs to take some down time to regroup and reset.  The planning and thinking about the year ahead has always been my favorite part of the new years holiday.  In years past I have created a big list of lots of goals to accomplish through out the year.  And it has been hit and miss as to what I accomplish each year.  So with this new year and new decade I thought I would try a new approach.  I want to focus more on intention versus resolution.

In making the switch from one way of thinking, let me first define these words.

Resolution: (n): a firm decision to do or not to do something.

Intention: (n): a thing intended; an aim or plan.

In the past few years I have been learning about mindset and how the words we speak out loud and in our minds affect our outcomes.  Anyone of us can find statistics on how many people fail at their new years resolutions.  I think I read this morning something like 46% of folks succeed.  Not too promising or inspiring to think about the other 54% failing or falling short.

Having just completed a rather difficult (for me) ending to this past decade and looking back over this past year, I decided I did not want to repeat the same mistakes and fall short of my goals.  So I have decided to be part of some different workshops, groups and forums that will help me succeed in changing how I set goals.  Moving from a resolution mindset to an intentional way of thinking and behaving.

Resolutions are not bad and can be very motivating.  I have had success with setting them before and may again someday.  But this year, I want to focus more on how I think and how that impacts the decisions I make and the actions I follow through with.  Setting my intention each day to take an action toward some goal is more my style this year.

For example; one of my goals this year is to be more active.  Instead of saying or writing on the never ending list on my fridge that I want to run everyday, (which I know I ahead of time I most likely will not do as I have not ran much in the last year) I have set the goal that every week I will add in a new physical activity that will help me become more fit.

My plan for this looks like this so far: 
Work week 1–do 50 squats everyday (completed!) I started last week since this lined up with my current work schedule.
Work week 2 (this started today) – 60 squats everyday and walk 10,000 steps each day.

Each week I plan to add another activity to the mix till I am seeing the results I desire to see.   I am already finding this fun and creative and a way to keep me from feeling overwhelmed with changing too many things all at once.  So far this is easy to do and I am excited to add a new activity each week.  And to see how this shift in my thinking will affect my results.  I can tell you so far, I am having no stress about being more active because I know I can add one thing each week.

How do you approach the new year?  Do you set goals each January?  And do you successfully meet them? Or are you like me this year and try to set more intentions; believing this kindness to oneself may serve you better?  I am hopeful that trying a new style of goal setting and planning will be successful, it’s worth a shot right?!

Let me know what you intend to do this year; I would love to hear from you.

 

 

 

 

Author:

Just a girl that is finding joy in writing. Hoping I have something to offer in the way of inspiration to live your best life. To be your best self. Check out my About page to learn more.

2 thoughts on “Monday musings–Welcome to 2020

  1. One of my goals embraces local community. As a small business owner, I want to walk to and meet other small business owners nearby. Then I want to get to know better, and identify more with, their pluck, insight, and perseverance.

    Like

Comments are closed.