Hello there! How are you all doing? I know it has been a few months since I last posted btu after seeing that I hit 200 posts, I was not sure I had more to say. But really we all have something to say and more to share so here I am again. Thank you to all that have remained reading.
How are you all doing these days? Hoe are your fairing during this pandemic? We are still in “phase 1” here where we live. We are venturing out more and seeing more friends and family but things are definitely not “normal.” We all spent months wondering when we could return to the way of life that we knew, but it seems that will not occur. So we have to pivot and learn a new way to live, function and interact within this world.
What are you doing to deal with the changes in your world? Is your city still in lockdown or were you barely affected? Are you working from home now or have children at home instead of school or daycare? Are you facing job loss or a new position?
So many of us have had our worlds and homes rocked by the pandemic that we have had no choice but to change how we operate. We have had to make daily modifications and learn how to handle changes that we neither wanted nor were prepared for. Cause who can really prepare for a worldwide pandemic?!
Change is something so constant that I feel I have learned to embrace it. I love variety and trying new things. I am committed to not letting fear in any way dictate my life, so change is often exciting to me. BUT I have found that I embrace the changes I am in control of. Like most, I am still not a fan of the things out of my control. Does it cause you stress to think you will have to permanently change your way of life? Or is that somewhat exciting and full of possibility?
I have learned these past few months how important mindset truly is. Not only for our own mental state but for how we handle change. Especially unwelcome or unwanted change. Our human nature resists change that we do not control, face it we barely handle the changes we do want. Like when we think we want a new job but then are stressed that we have to learn something new. Or we are excited to move to a new town but find it painful and lonely when we get there.
So how do we handle the changes we do not desire to deal with? Here are some ways we have handled the pandemic and all the changes that has meant for our household.
- We extend grace more easily. I think this may be the number one key to dealing with others in the midst of unexpected challenges; extend grace. Let your people feel what they feel without trying to stop it and just let the moment be.
- Allow alone time when needed. With everyone at home much more than we used to be; we have had to find ways to get time alone and away from each other sometimes. This may be taking a walk or being in our rooms with the door shut for a bit. Even just taking a drive to get out of the house has helped.
- Finding new activities for us all to participate in. We put together puzzles. We watch a show or a movie together. We have played games. Taking the time to better enjoy each other has helped us have a more positive experience.
- Looking at this moment in time as an opportunity rather than a disappointment. The first couple of months were tough. It was tough to adjust to not really seeing anyone other than the folks you live with. But we have tried to embrace the time this has brought with our children. As we have had another one leave the nest (there are 4 total and time is moving too fast) in many ways this has been an added bonus.
- Trying to keep life as normal as possible. Keeping a routine. Having dinner together. Chores. All the things we usually do each day or week we have continued. We still get dressed and showered before working from home. We still make the beds and cook meals.
Life may not look the same anymore but we have a choice in how we view that. To live our best life we sometimes have to face moments where we need to pivot. To learn new ways and do things differently. If your mindset is to see moments of stress and change as an opportunity then you can’t help but be successful. In the past few months of this pandemic we are more successful as a couple and family than before. Life is still full of abundance.
How do you see your life today? What are you doing to create an abundance mindset in the midst of the chaos? I hope you find joy in the midst.
Till next time.