Sometimes I just can’t leave well enough alone and go and mess up a completely working and well run machine. For those that may have noticed, my blog has been down; offline for the past 3 days! I got a wild idea to change server hosts. Well that was not my best plan.
In dealing with Many (sigh) phone calls, online chats and emails, I am Finally back online! Woohoo! And to top it off, I got a summer cold that is kicking my butt! But in this process I learned a few things I thought I would share.
- You should ALWAYS do your research. The server I was trying to move to is reputable and reliable, but I should have known a bit more about the changes that it would cause if I moved. Like reading the fine print. We often skip that part, but it is important. Research doesn’t have to take all our time or attention but we should give it due diligence.
- Know your own limitations. This is not to say one should never step out of their comfort zone, we should; this is where growth occurs. But I do not know how to code and I am happy in this wordpress space and creating the blog I have. There are things I want to learn and then there are those I am comfortable letting someone else deal with. I know what areas I am willing to give extra time and energy to and those I am not; it seems I forgot those this weekend.
- You do not have to listen to the “experts.” Refer back to tip #1. I listened to those I believe to have more knowledge than me. And while the tips and ideas are great and beneficial, they are not applicable for me at this time. Sometimes we are just not ready for a change or to try a new path even if it could be better.
- Prepare ahead of time for issues. In the case of having a blog or website, you may want to let your readers or followers know that your site is going to be going through some changes. And there may be some down time. I am thankful it was only 3 days, imagine if your site was down even longer!
- That leads me to the last tip I gleaned from this: Do not try to make a bunch of changes to your blog right before date night! Think this one is self explanatory! Lol!
It has been a tough few days navigating the mistake I made and getting back online.
Please do let me know that you can see this new post. And I would love to hear any of your technical difficulty stories.