Once in awhile I get stuck on just needing to escape for a few days. No responsibility. No requests on my time or energy. No alarm clock. With the weather change and the sun out more I’m dreaming of hoping a plane and relaxing somewhere new.
This quote seemed appropriate for today’s thoughts.
This is one of my favorite things to repeat when doing daily affirmations. My life in the past year has proven this again and again. When you focus on growing, learning and moving forward, you can’t lose. Even with setbacks or hardships, better IS coming!
This thought is on my mind this morning:
Not exactly sure why as I’m pretty positive most of the time. But think I’m needing to remind myself of this this morning. Sometimes we get down a negative thinking pattern and we have to stop and redirect. Not feeling that great is often a trigger for me to start on that path. But today I’m going to focus on this, even when not feeling 100% I get to choose my thoughts. I hope whatever your trigger for negative thoughts is, you can identify and choose a different course. For me today, I’m going to keep this quote in mind.
Have a great Sunday!
We all desire to belong; to be a part of a group, team. It’s why we seek out a mate, friends, lovers. Why we try to get along with our co-workers and teammates. We need other people to help us navigate and tolerate the world we live in. We long to be understood and recognized.
So how do we function when we’ve not found our tribe yet? What ways can we cope while searching? How do we function in tough environments when we might feel isolated or out of our comfort zone?
This has been on my mind the last few days for a few reasons. One as I think about my daughter off in college, trying to find those she connects with. How should she go about it when many seem very different than her? Two as I think about a friend who suffers from depression so deep that she barely desires to get out of bed; I am not even sure she is. Three as I think about my current relationship and how great it is to feel that sense of belonging and acceptance and what did I do to get there.
Here are some of my opinions on how to get to the place of feeling that you belong; no matter what situation you might be in.
- First this starts with a belief in your self. You must believe that you are worthy of belonging. Accept who you are. Your faults and strengths. That you are human and you will fail at times; you will hurt others at times, you are not perfect! BUT you ARE Worthy of Belonging. I believe every thing begins with your sense of worth! It’s tough to belong to others if you don’t accept yourself.
- Be honest about what you need from your tribe; your person. Your friends, coworkers, partner, family members cannot, will never be able to, read your thoughts. You must own being truthful about what you want and need from them. And be honest about what you’re willing to give to them. All relationships are a give and take, you must be able to be honest.
- Communicate these honest truths! If you never share what your needs are, no one will know. You have to share your boundaries as well. Each of us are 100% responsible for our own emotions. Our own actions.
- Take risks. Venture out of your comfort zone. Try new places for lunch. For happy hour. Join a new meet up or group event. Explore new stores, hiking trails, whatever interests you. Opening yourself to new adventures is a great way to meet new people who may just be part of your tribe.
- Be willing to be open. Having an open mind and heart creates an open posture that can help others to feel safe to connect with you. The more approachable you are, the more you might find connections.
There is no right or wrong way to go about finding those who could be part of your tribe. Belonging is a personal journey and one you get to drive. The more you work on seeking those you truly can be vulnerable with the better sense of belonging you’ll feel.
Don’t give up, your team, partner, tribe awaits.
This thought hit me hard this morning… My life is proof of this. Everyday I see the fruit of the work I’ve put into my growth. Into changing myself for the better. For learning from my mistakes. Beyond grateful for what those changes have allowed room for in my life.
Keep working. Never give up pursuing your best life.